Lumbarda is an ancient village on the eastern tip of the island of Korčula, located 6 km from the city of Korčula. Lumbarda is located at the entrance of the Pelješac Canal, which separates Korčula from Peljesac Peninsula, because of which has in the past been of strategic importance. The first inhabitants who settled this place were the Illyrians in the period of the bronze and Iron Age. The remains of the Illyrians are stone mounds that are found in almost all places of the island of Korčula. In Lumbarda, the stone mounds are located in the western part. At the beginning of the 3rd centuries before Christ in this area in consultation with the Illyrian natives, there were founded the colony of Greece.
About settling of the Greeks from the island of Vis (Issa) and the division of land to outsiders in Lumbarda, attests Psephisma of Lumbarda. Psephisma is the most significant Greek written monument found on the territory of Croatia. The first fragments of this stone monument about the division of the country to the Greek colonists were found in Croatia, 1877 a year at the top of the Hill Koludrta, North of the Centre of Lumbarda. Crusade of Emperor Octavian, 35th year BC, to the island of Korčula are coming first Roman families. The most important of the Roman remains are the Villa Rustica in the field (NE of today’s village) and thermal system with necropolis in the areas of Koludrt and Sutivan.
The Romans have left their trace, and on nearby islands Sutvari, Vrnik and Kamenjak where there are the remains of a Roman quarry. On the island Sutvari there is also a church of St. Barbara, dating from the 6th century. Only rare medieval found remains indicate that the continuity of the settling of Lumbarda starts from 15th century with the Venetian authorities. Along with the existing ones, are being built and the new Churches, as well as many castles with a defensive function. The oldest preserved castle is from the 15th century and it belonged to the diocese and is located in the bay Bili Žal. From the architectural importance of this place are guaranteed and Cankinov and Nobilov castle, castles Milina and Kršinić, and the tower in Velo poje. In the early 16th century on the Velika Glavica in Lumbarda was built the parish church of St. Roko. Memorial Day of the St. Roko, 16th August, is a protective day of the municipality of Lumbarda and the day of the parish of Lumbarda.
Lumbarda today has about 1200 inhabitants. Although in recent times has developed tourism, the local population still cherishes the traditional fisheries, stone masonry and agriculture, particularly viticulture and enology. On a sandy and dry soil of Lumbarda thrives the indigenous variety grapevine Grk. White wine varieties of Grk, but and the famous red wine Plavac mali, can be tasted in one of a dozen wineries in the village. Lumbarda, except vine grown on sandy soil, is proud of its sandy bays and beaches. Maybe the most visited beaches in summer days on the island of Korčula are Pržina and Bilin žal.